Recently we had to upgrade a couple of our VMware Usage Meter environments. VMware Usage Meter is a tool that monitors all VMware based software solutions on the licences they are using. These numbers are used to report your license usage to your aggregator. This piece of software is mostly used by VMware Cloud Providers. Multiple different versions were present starting from 4.2, 4.3 and even 4.4. All of these had to be upgraded to 4.5 because of License Compliancy reasons. VMware asks the cloud providers to be up to date in regard to the UsageMeter versions.

The process to upgrade is actually really easy nowaways, and especially since UsageMeter 4.5. The upgrade consists out of more or less the following couple of commands:

This worked flawlessly on all environments except one, the UsageMeter 4.3 version. Usually once the upgrade completes it will mention the following line on the terminal or in the upgrade log which can be found here: /opt/vmware/var/log/um-upgrade.log

It seems that some RPM’s were not signed correctly, eventhough the same ISO worked without any issues on the other environments. I tried manually installing the RPM with the following command: rpm --install xxxxxx.rpm. That did work, but running the upgrade script again another RPM failed to install because it was not signed. So that wasn’t an option.

I found some older KB’s that were not really that relevant to my issue, but they stated that we should clean the cache for the Photon OS packages from the package manager. This can be done by executing the following command:

After this it still didn’t work. After this I created a VMware case and after a while I got a confirmation back that the package which was giving the issue, vmware-studio-init* was actually a dependency package, which is why the install option didn’t work which I tried earlier. We were asked to upgrade the package manually by using the following command:

You should do this once the ISO is mounted within the GuestOS, which by the way works as such (You can also find it HERE):

After I did this the update still didn’t go through, I also had to manually upgrade the following package:

Now we were able to continue the upgrade procedure (which is started with bash /root/upgrade/upgrade-um.sh. After this we were able to view the beautiful upgrade completion:

There you have it! The UsageMeter upgrade for 4.3 to 4.5 wasn’t that easy and straight forward as any other version. Fortunately this was easy to fix and now you guys should be able to fix it yourselfes. I asked VMware to include this in a fix or in their documentation, since the upgrade documentation does not state any of these issues.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *